Thursday, November 15, 2012

Certainly I'm uncertain



            I must confess that I have little energy for discussing things that are political a little over a week after the election.  Except to note that stupid things are still being said, just not hammered into our brains, 30-second spot after 30-second spot.

            One of the blessings of Face Book (if blessing is the right word!) is that I have been able to reconnect with a number of young people whom I baptized or led to their First Communion.  Except they’re not young anymore!  Some have children as old as they were when I first met them.  Some are having more difficult lives than others. 

            Being a pastor has many benefits, including being invited into people’s deepest joys and sorrows, and given the right to speak to them.  I did a funeral yesterday for a man who had died at age 75. I did a house blessing and ate some homemade fish tacos at a parishioner’s house.  I talked with a young person who is having real struggles.  I talked with a young father who is excited about what the future will bring to him and his family.

            There are other benefits.  But a benefit I don’t have is certainty.  I don’t know if I’ve made a difference in a person’s life or not.  It’s very hard to measure change.  Sometimes with hindsight, I can see it.  But at the moment—whether in hope or sorrow, or just in life—I have to go on hope that there is a blessing in what I do.

            I was working on a poem today about a young woman from our church in Philly, who committed suicide at age 19 with her baby and boyfriend sleeping in the next room.  She had done her First Communion when she was around 11, and seemed to really have a chance at a good life, despite what she had experienced (a dad doing life in prison, a mother who was abused by a number of boyfriends).  The last time I saw her, we talked about baptizing her baby.  We never got to that.

            The poem isn’t finished, but the title is, I think.  It’s simply: “I Couldn’t”.

I couldn’t …
pull the gun from your hands
I couldn’t …
 remember you to yourself
I couldn’t …
convince you the voice
that spoke so softly inside
was a homicide in the shape
of a horseshoe, that the luckier
your life got, the harder
it became for you
 to believe
in you

            And so on, what I couldn’t do.  I know many of us have experienced that powerlessness and wondered what to do with it.

            What I would like most of all right now, as I say to her in the poem, “sit with you” for awhile.  Sit with you alive. Sit with you here.

            My faith in a God of mercy and justice leads me out of that powerlessness, but often that walk is very slow, and very painful.  That is when I like to remember what a community of loving people is.  Among other things, a place to celebrate.

            If you’ve never been to a First Communion with people from Mexico, let me know and I will invite you to the next one!  It is quite a celebration, a joy to all the senses.  This is an excerpt from the poem “First Communion for the Children of the Undocumented” (found on my MNartists page at: http://www.mnartists.org/search.do?action=list#RefineWork). Even with the terrible uncertainty of their lives, there is such a hope.

Kneeling at the altar,
with their padrinos’ hands
resting on their shoulders
like seraphim about to strike,
they seem a bit out of place, brilliant
in white suits and dresses, veils
and rosaries and bibles, these children
with this bit of God in their hands.
 
Seraphim are both wild angels and winged serpents—think about that image!

I don’t know how people write every day on their blogs. I’m happy I got to this one during a challenging week.

Be beauty.  Be justice.

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment