Wednesday, January 2, 2013

We Belong to the Land

I’ve been reading two wonderful books that deal with the loss of land, and how that affects our sense of self, of community and even of nationhood or “people-hood”.  One is Spirit Car by Diane Wilson, which tells of her journey to understand her Lakota roots.  It was the Minneapolis Reads book in 2012, timed, I suppose, to coincide with the war of 1862.  That war and its causes are still troubling the land we walk on, in ways we don’t—or won’t—acknowledge.  What does it mean that we live on land in Minnesota that was taken by theft and war from the people who lived here for centuries?  There have been some great articles and TV shows about this during the past year, but I still think it’s hard for us to have an honest discussion about what that means, especially to those who lost.  On the rare occasions that I’ve been in diverse groups where we talk about it, I’ve heard people of European descent, like me say things like, “I didn’t steal land from anyone”, or “My family came here long after this.”  True, to be sure, and true for me and my family, but not the whole truth,

It is also painfully true, that except for a few functionaries killed at the beginning of the war (who had a big hand in creating the conditions that led to the war); almost all of the white victims were not the rich and powerful.  Rather, they were mostly immigrants who were working incredibly hard to farm the land and make a living and a life in a society that was strange to them, and not always welcoming.

The other book I am reading is We Belong to the Land, by Elias Chacour.  He is an Israeli Palestinian Christian priest and bishop, and you can tell by the combination of the words describing him that he embodies the terrible conflict in Israel and Palestine.  He talks about the pain of having his village taken from his family in the aftermath of the 1948 war, and how the Israeli government, and many Israelis, refuse to recognize the rights of Palestinians to be in the land of their forefathers (and fore-grandmothers and great-great and so on, back hundreds of years).  He is an Israeli citizen, living in the land of Israel, but not able to get building permits, for example, for schools that teach everyone—Israeli and Palestinian, Muslim, Christian, Jew.  He has sought a non-violent way to resist the occupation in a non-violent way and to work for reconciliation, particularly with enemies. 

Both of the books made me think about my relationship to the land, as the grandchild of immigrants on my father’s side, and the great-great-great-great grandson (I think!) on my mother’s side, and a city boy who loves to garden and be in nature, but a boy who couldn’t wait to get away from his hometown, a town surrounded by farm country, and sustained, in many ways by agriculture, specifically meatpacking.

That was a 71-word sentence, in case you’re counting!

Even as I age—I’ll be 60 in April—I want more and more to be in direct contact with the earth on which I walk. I love eating fruits and vegetables that we grow in our backyard, the backyard now lovingly covered in snow, and crisscrossed by rabbit and crow tracks, who are helping fertilize next year’s tomatoes, maybe without knowing it.  (37 words!)  I love teaching youth in our church and in the neighborhood school about gardening, and seeing the joy they get from digging in the dirt, and from eating what they’ve planted and tended to.

And yet, I feel we are missing something profound, even as we see the peril of climate change, and make some small steps to address it (which will not be enough, until we make much bigger ones).  I think there is a body-memory and a land-memory that we have lost, and we have not done the mourning, both individually and communally, that would enable us to grow anew.

Thomas Merton, one of my most favorite poet/priests, writes somewhere (it may be in Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander) about how much of America’s anxiety and conflict is due to our lack of conscious acknowledgement and grief about the pain that made this land what it is.  He makes the point that in our land and in our culture the wounds of slavery and the extermination of native nations still fester (I would add the treatment of immigrants, whether they came from Ireland in the mid-19th century, Scandinavia in the late 19th, or Germany and Russia in the 20th). (52!)

He wrote that in the 1960’s, when civil rights were at the forefront. He also connected this lack of grieving (and repentance, finally) to our war-making in other lands.  I think both are true today.  If we sing “this land is your land, this land is my land” in our classrooms, then we should know the pain as well as the joy of what made this land what it is.

I don’t know about your story, and how you got to where you are.  I bet it involves migration in some way.  And if it does, it involves pain.  My dad’s father, left his Germanic homeland in the early part of the 20th century, in part to escape conscription into the army (and we know what the first half of the century meant for those armies).  He was abandoned by his mother and stepfather, but made it to North Dakota where his sisters lived, and began farming.  No doubt he longed for the soil and the smell and the taste of his native land.  Maybe he sang “some of the songs” of his natal Zion.  I imagine there were some long nights of longing as he “settled” into this new land.

Like many of his generation, he tried to become “American” as soon as possible.  He sped up this process when his 5-year old first born, little Walter, my father, went to kindergarten in 1917, speaking only German, as was told that he could speak only English, not the language of the enemy.  Rules were enforced physically in those schools, in those days.  I imagine little Walter walked home slowly with a load of shame on his back, not because he did something wrong, but because the powers had decided that he and “his kind” were wrong. 

His father said that night: “From now on, we speak only English here!”  Probably he thought he was protecting his children, and he was. But he was also cutting off the language of their infancy, the most important connection to the land where their ancestors walked.  Language develops in a specific place on the earth, then changes and redevelops as it comes in contact with other lands, other tongues.

I wonder how much of that loss was passed onto me and my siblings.  I wonder how much that has happened to so many of us in this land.

Most of the immigrants who came to the United States voluntarily in the past two centuries lost their language pretty quickly. (African slaves had it beaten and starved out of them, and yet still it echoes in our collective music today).  Most of what remains of Scandinavian-American culture or Irish-American culture are the more quaint and non-threatening-ones: special foods at holidays, special clothes you wear once or twice a year, holiday songs.  Hardly a breath of the struggle of the people who came here, their longing for freedom and justice, their sacrifice.

Maybe it’s time to arouse that breath. Maybe it’s time to call all of us to give more than lip service to the belief that we came from the earth and will return to it, and that we are not separate from the very dirt we walk on.  I look out and see trees that were here before I was, and will be—I hope—after I’m gone.  In a few minutes, hundreds and hundreds of crows will gather in their nightly sunset communion.  It makes me sad that one day I won’t be able to see or hear them.  But at least for this moment, I rejoice that my life is so connected with this beautiful earth.

My heart is pretty heavy this early evening about the pain of what a divided land is doing to us and our hope.  A family close to us, whose members were all born in America—some in North American, some in Latin America—are being kept apart by immigration laws that respect neither people nor the land.  I’m going to end this with a poem that talks about another family in our community, and what they suffered. I do so in mourning, but also in hope that speaking this sorrow will somehow lead to a new way, a new life for us.

 Be justice. Be beauty. Be earth.

 Patrick

 
KEEP MOVING


We belong to the dust, the dust
belongs to no one.  Ask the bones
of Domingo, who crossed into Arizona
with his six-year old son, walking
through the mountains, avoiding
the desert snakes and the eyes
burning a hole through the sky.                      
On the third day, they ran
out of water, and on the fourth
Domingo began to run out, his skin
tightening, his eyes wandering
through heaven and earth, the heaven
you make in your mind when flesh                 
begins to die, skin for skin,
bone to its bone, the heart’s fierce                  
surrender.  There comes a moment
in time where the mind can accept
what the body knows.  We belong
to the sun, the sun belongs to no one.
Domingo placed his right hand
on his son’s head, drew a crooked cross,
commanded him on.  The son
obeyed with his feet. The last order
of the living is the first wish of the dead:

Keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment